Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Noblemen are not a Church



However, I think there is a lot of “Church” in The Noblemen.  

As a kid I grew up in Virginia Beach and attended First Presbyterian Church with my family @ 36th and Pacific Ave.  Sunday School and Church every Sunday and then to Nicks Restaurant for lunch.

I taught senior high Sunday school, ushered, served on the Session and hosted the Men’s Breakfast every Tuesday for 14 years. 

I guess the reason I tell you this is simply because it validates me to talk about why I no longer attend church regularly.  Funny thing, every time I take my Mom to church and attend on special occasions, I am always asked, "where do you attend church now?" as if there were no options!

In a nut shell, for me, the greatest thing about church was the people that I got to know.  Over the many years I met and was mentored by great men and women who shared a part of their lives with me and me with them.

On the subject of “God” I would have to say that “God” resides inside of me and not just in the church.  If I go to church then I bring God there with me.  I rarely get inspired by sermons or lessons and sometimes get turned off by the “us and them” attitudes.   

Quiet times, meditations, long runs, and spending time on the water allow me to “tap in” to the “God” in me.  I am so blessed to know this relationship and for its “rudder” in my life.

I founded The Noblemen to enjoy the best parts of church, a gathering of men or women that have fun and collectively use their resources to “give back”.  Quite frankly I admire the churches that are active in the community and use the synergy of their members to do great deeds in their communities.

The return on investment is like no other.  The satisfaction you receive by saving kids. And changing lives is hard to beat.

I had breakfast with a member the other day and he shared with me that that one of the reasons he attends Noblemen meetings are to get the things accomplished that he wished his church would do. 

Please understand I love what the church offers and I consider it to be a part of what makes the world go around, however, it simply is not for everyone!

Perhaps our motto should be The Noblemen, We meet on Monday’s not Sunday’s or The Noblemen, a great Church with less guilt and no worship! 

Upcoming blog… My views on Funerals!

NobleOne

2 comments:

  1. Al I really appreciate this. I talk to God everyday. I try to make my choices in life as to what he wants me to do. I believe that things happen for a reason and that I am not in control. I try not to judge others and help wherever I am needed. I've been knocked down a bit in life, but I approach each day as a new beginning and refuse to let the world keep me down. Love you AL!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen thanks for reading my blog and I agree that things happen for a reason and it is how you react to them that speaks to who you are inside.

    ReplyDelete