Monday, September 30, 2013

Lessons learned living on a farm!


There are a lot of life’s lessons to be learned on a farm.  Here are some of mine!

Wait for the dragonflies! 
 
 


My first spring on our farm I was introduced to the biting fly!  We have a long driveway with pine trees on either side and that’s where they wait to dine!  When the dragon flies appear the bad flies disappear.  Nothing cooler that a dragonfly.  I love the way they fly and most important the way they eat!   So remember when life sends you biting flies, just wait and the dragonflies will be here soon!

Love of an animal

When I come home I am first greeted by my dog Marlin, a black lab with the best grin on his face you have ever seen!   Hard to have a bad day when you own a good dog! 

And then there are the horses…1000 pounds of I understand you!  It is never good to share your bad day with a horse.  Like the rest of us, leave your attitude someplace else, horses or people don’t want your company if you are having a bad day.  Hard not to love a horse however there are a few I like better than others!

Barn cats greet me every morning looking for a free meal.  I have grown to love our cats, truly great hunters and always proud to show you their recent kills. 

Critters that I don’t feed

As I write this I can hear an owl outside my window.  On many occasions herds of deer greet me as they venture north at our water’s edge.  Possums compete for the cat food at night and rarely a day goes by in the summer where a snake doesn’t say hello.  I always like to see them before they see me and ya gotta love an obnoxious crawdad!

Patience and balance are life’s great lessons learned on a farm.  Everything has greater meaning and impact from rain to wind.  For every mended fence and replaced roof there are new porticos and out buildings.  There is always something to fix and the opportunity to fix you!

If someone told me years ago I would be living on a farm I most likely would have simply laughed!  I I am now grateful to have had the experience and a better person because of it. 

NobleOne

1 comment:

  1. Nice! Gotta love the farm, Al. Do you need some chickens? :)

    ReplyDelete