Sunday, March 3, 2013

A Gathering of Men



Yesterday I attended the 37th annual Hunter’s Feast in Knotts Island, NC.  Thousands of men gathering in everything from Carhartt to Camo.   Local legends serving up a variety of deliciousness from brisket to bourbon on the banks of Back Bay. 

It simply amazes me that so many men can gather enjoying libations, cigars, and buckets of good food in the company of great friends, (all men) and no incidents or arguments.  (barely)

In 1985 I was involved in an investment club of men.  We called ourselves the Taurus Societas.  In order to raise money we held a large New Year’s Eve Party that was quite memorable.   We never made any significant money however I will always remember the friendships and the power of a gathering of men.

In 1987 I founded the First Presbyterian Men’s Breakfast.  Six of us would gather @ 6:00 in the morning and cook for 30 plus men every Tuesday for 14 years.  That’s over 700 breakfasts and a lifetime of wonderful stories and growth from a gathering of men. 

It was 1993 when I was inspired to create my next and current gathering of men.  My friends and family supported my wife and me when we faced tough odds of losing our first and only son Matthew. 

In response to that and my way of balancing the gift, I founded The Robin Hoods of Virginia Beach (now The Noblemen) in 1995, initially a gathering of 12 men that has now grown to hundreds serving the community and making lifetime friendships. 

 

It is an honor and a privilege to invest your time and talent in something that returns to you lifetime friends and life changing experiences. 

Note to Women – a close friend and NobleWoman once stated “men and women process things differently”.   I applaud all women and very thankful for the gathering of NobleWomen that are an integral part of The Noblemen.  Meeting separately allows us both to focus on the mission of the gathering.

NobleOne

No comments:

Post a Comment