Sunday, March 24, 2013

Pushing the Rope



Have you ever started down a path and instinctively knew it was destined for failure?  

Years ago while serving on the board for the Hilltop YMCA, I came up with the idea (that I stole from Dick Nottingham) to hold “Corporate Olympics”.  Local businesses could sign up teams and compete against each other in various sports that could be orchestrated at the YMCA.

I simply thought it was a good idea and I held meeting after meeting, receiving little enthusiasm or support.  My “ego” would not let it go. 

Does that resonate with anyone else?

When I finally did recognize that my "ego" was driving it and became "aware" that people were supporting it only because I asked them to.   It became apparent that it was not the “time” for this idea and I was essentially trying to “push a rope." 

It is much easier to hold on to a rope that is being pulled vs. trying to push a rope in any direction.

Great ideas will pull you along and you simply need to hold on.   The “right” people will appear in your life that believe in your idea and resources will appear to support it. 

It truly amazes me the power of a great idea!

I call these “nobleisms."  Life lessons that I practice.  I have found that when you “pay attention” to these lessons you “grow” and allow yourself to move forward down your path in life. 

Grasping the concept of “pushing the rope” allows me to quickly notice energy dedicated to the wrong initiatives and that is a wonderful thing!
NobleOne

No comments:

Post a Comment