Sunday, June 2, 2013

Problems or just opportunities?



When I am in the midst of a big problem, I often stop for a moment and ponder whether or not this could be a teachable moment.  It can simply be the time to learn how to deal with this sort of thing.  Remove the drama and look deeper into why this is happening.

If you already knew how to deal with this situation it would never become a problem!   

Many years ago I was a newly licensed Realtor ready to take on the world.   I had drive and enthusiasm however lacking in experience.  As problems arose in my early deals I sat down with my Broker at the time, Larry Sancilio.  He simply stopped me in my tracks and stated “there are no such things as problems only opportunities for progress.”  I can assure you at the time I was convinced they were problems! 

I was told this so many times before I accepted it as a life lesson.  A great one to learn!

I thought about Mr. Sancilio a few years back when I fell through my roof at my farm while replacing a chimney cap.  As I soiled my pants, I realized that my view from the angle I was dangling from was awesome.  I decided to add a small third story loft since I had to sheath the roof anyway.  That’s the spot where I wrote my book, Normal to Noble.   Lemonade from lemons!

My greatest example occurred on May 4th, 1993 when the Doctor told me to abort the mistake that was occurring in my wife’s womb.  I decided to “let it ride.”  And today I plan on going to the movies with that mistake!

Consider this; a problem occurs like the wake of a boat.  It has already happened, the wake is behind you and you can’t change it.  You can of course change the way to steer the boat and create a new wake. 

The next time you have a problem, take a moment and consider allowing it to be an opportunity for progress.  It may be something that changes your life forever. 

You have a choice to be upset and resentful, and then the opportunity to share that with your family and friends… or NOT!

NobleOne

No comments:

Post a Comment