Sunday, January 13, 2013

Earning Nobility



Yesterday I spent my morning driving down to the Outerbanks, a place of reflection for me.  My family settled in the Outerbanks in the 1600's after leaving France during the protestant reformation.  I am only learning now how fascinating one's history can be.

I was a guest of the WooHoo Sistahs at a cottage in Corolla, NC.  This weekend, five board members are spending time with each other exploring new ways to take their nonprofit to the next level.  An adventure like this is right up my alley!

Warmly received we started the late morning with storytelling and getting to know each other.  It wasn't long before the questions started...How do you handle? What happens when?  Clearly there had been roadblocks and frustrations!

Eighteen years of adventures with The Noblemen have taught me a thing or two about running meetings and inspiring volunteers.  People have but so much free time to dedicate to volunteering.  So many things compete for that special time.  Creating an organization that inspires others to dedicate a part of their lives is a wonderful thing.  However it comes with responsibilities, never ending exploration, constant improvement and healthy growth.

Understanding people is essential to running a nonprofit.  Passion runs the day and inspiration is the fuel to keep it alive.   Members need a return on investment of time and dedication.

At the end of a day if you can claim that you helped some kids and changed some lives.  I would call that a good day, you?

1 comment:

  1. Hey everyone I look forward to keeping this up and writing about the many cool things that I am fortunate to be involved in.

    ReplyDelete