Sunday, January 20, 2013

Magic in the Middle



This is a term I often refer to simply because it validates so many awesome people.  Growing up I often felt that I did not measure up constantly comparing myself with the top 5%.  Those that were cooler, skinnier, faster, taller, smarter, richer or you can pick your own.
I graduated middle of my class 228 of over 500 @ First Colonial High School in 1975. I ran the New York Marathon in 1987 and finished 10,635 out of 23,000 runners.  I am 5’7” and not too fat however not skinny either.  The list could go on however I think I made point.  I reside in the middle! 

One could simply view the world as Top / Middle / Bottom.  There is a lot of competition for that “top” spot however there is simply little room.  My goal, get comfortable in the middle.  There are a great number of us that reside here. 

I recognize that this is a bit of an over simplification however it serves me and how I operate in this world.  I enjoy the company of everyone I meet.  I am empowered daily by “normal” people doing heroic things.  People expect the “top” to always perform however it impresses everyone when the “middle” exceeds expectations.  Therein lies the "magic"

I now run an organization that gives everyone a chance at greatness.  We do not seek the best only those that want to help out the folks that reside at the “bottom and a few in the “middle”.   We seek out the heroes among everyday people and celebrate their noble deeds. 

The way I have it figured the “middle” represents the largest segment of folks in my community.  It is those folks that I call my friends and choose to hang out with.  Granted I know some “top” folks, doesn’t everyone?  Friends in high places are a gift to us all. 

Being happy in this world is a pretty good goal to accomplish.  I am happy to call myself a “middle man” and feel like a “top man when I help a “bottom man”.  Not a bad philosophy.  One could call it “Noble”  bi-da-boom!

I will finish with this…writing gives me something to check off my list.  It allows this middle man to bathe in a better feeling of legitimacy.  Somewhere in my persona I feel that communicating a piece of wisdom is a privilege and an expression of a gift. 

Writing also gives me a voice to those folks that I haven’t yet met! 

Your favorite “Middle Man”

Al Midgett
aka
NobleOne

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Al! That is a very motivating way to look at things. I feel like I'm always working towards the top, but hangout in the middle. Maybe it's the best place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kevin, I enjoy looking at things differently so I don't stay up at night trying to compete. If you are comfortable in you own skin it certainly relieves a lot of pressure to be someone you are not meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good reminder to all that the middle can actually mean BALANCED. Well done! - Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an uplifting and positive post. Consider me subscribed! Looking forward to keeping up with your blog. So glad that Betsey Reid shared your link on FB.

    ReplyDelete