Sunday, December 22, 2013

Giving vs Getting

What’s on your mind this time of year?  Are you preparing your lists or are you taking care of lists?  I am not sure when the shift happened to me however my holidays have been wonderful ever since. 

A close friend of mine lost his sister to cancer and her dying wish was for her children to understand that giving is the better gift.  Our Noblemen Toy Drive honors that wish.  Not only do her children “get it” now, but all of ours do as well. 

Yesterday my morning was spent with thirty plus volunteers that unloaded and sorted over 1000 toys.  The line for getting gifts formed along the side and down into the parking lot of the Hilltop YMCA.   Every family in the line had missed all of the Christmas lists and simply had no opportunity to get gifts for their kids this Christmas.

Our line formed inside as children of Noblemen members and NobleTeens stood ready to interview each child needing a gift.  Then they would shop in the next room and bring back a gift and make sure it created a smile.

As I walked around the room there was nothing but joy!  Stories were being shared, pictures were being taken, and kids were getting hugged! 

Witnessing a child or a teenager transform to a “giver” from a “getter” is my Christmas gift to me!  It is also our gift to membership. 

I live in a world where people don’t ask me what are you getting for Christmas this year, they ask me what am I giving for Christmas this year?

Do you want to improve your Christmas with your family?  Learn to give and get one more reason to enjoy this season!


NobleOne

No comments:

Post a Comment