Sunday, March 30, 2014

Closed Doors!


At 56 I now see the opportunities that I lost were really obstacles I needed to avoid in order to stay on the path that was right for me.

There is so much wisdom offered in the passage of time.  Choices and decisions that were made decades ago, some painful, some regretful are now seen in a different light.  At the time it was so easy to judge harshly the reality of a painful new lesson.

There have been three instances in my life that at the time I labeled as 1. Hurtful 2. Painful 3. Regretful.

My family was part owner in a cool local business where I had worked growing up in Virginia Beach.  My father and his brother were majority shareholders.  I had always felt that this would be my legacy and could envision my future there until I learned that my father had sold his shares.  I was devastated and upset that his decision did not involve my counsel. 

After working for some time at Ferguson Enterprises I was offered what I perceived was the opportunity of a lifetime.  A successful business man was retiring and called me to discuss taking over his company.   He shared with me just how great of an opportunity it was and how he was looking forward to talking with me about it.  Then silence!  I later found out he hired my brother and offered the business to him.  I felt rejected, betrayed and pissed off!

After attending Ferrum College and graduating successfully I developed an attitude of regret and felt that perhaps the path that I had chosen was not fit for me!  I had enjoyed the experience however did not feel the desire to promote or be thankful for the gift of education that I had received.

Today I am confident all things happen for a reason and help to construct the fabric of your life.  I harbor not one ounce of regret for the outcomes of my decisions and now know I was simply following a path that I was destined to travel.

I recently returned to Ferrum College as an Executive in Residence.  For a day I met with students, professors, and trustees of the institution.  I was offered the opportunity to share my life with the campus as well as live streaming for an expanded audience.  Preparation for the day led me to the wisdom of my third door. 

Ferrum College opened that door for me again and invited me back to finish my education.  It became clear to me that this day was special and I look forward to my next lesson.

I choose to celebrate my life’s path and share my found wisdom with others that are seekers like me.  

Together we will build a future worth teaching about!

Be Noble my friends!


NobleOne

No comments:

Post a Comment