Sunday, August 17, 2014

Figure it out, don't call me!


Would you consider this good advice?  

I recently attended a Global Leadership Conference and the leader of the conference, Bill Hybels of Willow Creek Church told the story of his father putting him plane/train when he was 11 years old and telling him to go skiing in Colorado and gave him this advice “figure it out, don’t call me.”  (btw it seemed to work well for him) 

It sounded a bit stupid to me when I first heard it however it does make a good point for a teaching lesson.  If you are faced with a challenge and you have no one to call, you better figure it out, or suffer the consequences.  

Consider the times in your life when you were left alone to figure it out on your own.  Did you learn something from it?  You bet you did.  Good or bad, those experiences shape your character as well as your confidence.

When you own the experience and do not rely on others to help you get there…those are your moments. 

Perhaps giving that advice to a 11 year old is a bit extreme, however I’ll admit I am enjoying the fact that I get called less and can clearly see my son is figuring it out.

For the longest time I considered parenting a lifetime job!  I am now taking care of my parent, perhaps the responsibilities change and the duty remains. 

The lifetime job is loving both roles!  

Life is truly a circle and a grand challenge to remain balanced!  

What do you need to figure out? 

Don't call me! 



Nobleone

No comments:

Post a Comment