Sunday, October 19, 2014

Are teenagers a good investment?


In 2006 I had lunch with Paul Hirschbiel on a mission to explore “next steps” for The Noblemen.  I recently read a book about taking informative people to lunch because it was much easier and cheaper than hiring them to consult! 

Paul suggested we find a way to help teenagers.  He mentioned that they were such a tough investment, however everyone wants to help them. 

As I drove away from that conversation, I considered possible scenarios.  We could start a group within our existing organization and call them NobleTeens!  I immediately thought of Ovaltine (old chocolate drink) and felt there was a new brand in the making!

I started conversations with others about NobleTeens and it became quite apparent we had a new direction.  My good friend and board member Pete Reuss stepped up to the plate and joined me as my wing-man on this new adventure.  We met with a donor that directed us to start with Tallwood High School in Virginia Beach and we were off and running.

This past Friday I walked into a NobleTeen meeting at Princess Anne High School.  The teacher/sponsor was one of our own, Noblemen Jason Barefoot.  As I looked around the room from the doorway, unable to enter due to the amount of teens in the room, I spotted Gracie Booze, daughter of Chris Booze, another member of the Noblemen.  

The meeting was being run by a young lady I had never met and vice versa, yet there she was being Noble!  Amazing stuff for me! 

Earlier that same week I was startled in my truck as the person in the car next to me blasted her horn!  I looked over and it was none other than Amber Robinson, the young NobleTeen we helped with reconstructive surgery on her upper jaw in 2006.  She tagged me on Facebook later that morning and stated “it’s not every day you see the man that changed your life”!   

                                               Dr. Trey White, Amber and Miracle Matt

A young man we met at Salem High School, “Reggie” found his way early on with NobleTeens and decided to change his life.  Yesterday I read an article written in the University News at Norfolk State about him. 

                                          Reginald Land branding with his Noblemen lapel pin

So I say to you! 

Teenagers are not a good investment they are a GREAT investment!

                                                            NobleTeens @ ECSC

So invest in yours or someone else’s today!



NobleOne

No comments:

Post a Comment