Sunday, November 9, 2014

Come on over for a "feed" and don't bring a fork, bring a shovel!




Yesterday there was a “feed” going on at the end of my street!  Four guys and a few of their buddies warmed up everything from collards, whole hog, chili, venison, shrimp boil, smoked chicken, oysters, clams, and I’m sure some other stuff! 


I was invited for two reasons, I own a big grill and I volunteered to bring the beans, and mind you not just any beans, but the “best beans on the planet.”  At least that was the recipe calls them!

Steve Wozniak (Apple co-founder) recently spoke at a local forum and proclaimed what made him happy was not fame and fortune but three things that begin with “F.”   Family, food, and friends …and there could be one more “F.”

On either end of the road I live on presides two great cooks.  One is Willy and the other is Billy, and I refer to them as my bookends!   I have learned a lot about cooking “big food” from these guys and feel fortunate that I have paid attention and embraced the passion.

A few weekends back my organization cooked for close to 4000 folks.  Over 300 lbs. of pulled pork and enough sausages and pretzels to make anyone wearing lederhosen smile!

I think there is a bit of magic in a gathering of good folks celebrating eating good food in abundance.   I have never enjoyed handing my plate to someone else to put food on it.  I prefer to walk up to a large display of awesome food and use large utensils to scoop up chucks of phenomenally tasty consumables! 

Portions simply don’t exist at most of these large get-togethers.  The folks that are doing the cooking do it because they love to cook and know how!  They are not there to profiteer, only to share great food with great folks.

I have to agree with Wozniak, true happiness does reside with great friends, food and family!  You can make up your own mind whether you need more than that! 


NobleOne

No comments:

Post a Comment