Sunday, January 19, 2014

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time!


Earlier this week I was running on my treadmill listening to James Taylors' DVD One Man Band.   The song had played most of the way through and then I heard that tag line once again.  The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.  What a simple but novel thought.  Who doesn’t want to figure out the secret of life?

Could it really be that simple?  I backed the song up to listen to all of the lyrics.  James then told me that “any fool can do it, there ain't nothing to it!”  I simply smiled and listened for more J.T. wisdom and was not disappointed to hear.  “Since we are only here for a while we might as well show some style.  It’s just a lovely ride.”  Ok all of you, the secret is out!

Years ago I read Eckhart Tolle’s Power of NOW and it opened up my world a bit.  Then Wayne Dyer told me “If you are always striving you are never arriving.”  …and recently I watched a 14 year old boy tell me on  “TED Talk, Ideas worth sharing”  that education should be focused on the premise of being “happy.”  I think James Taylor has it right!

I often consider my future and what I want to accomplish in the years I have left.  I’ve learned to not dwell on my past because as I have said, you can never change the wake of your boat, you can only steer it in new direction.  Now I need to focus on the boat ride itself and enjoy the moment! 

It does sound simple; however, we all know it’s not!   Consider it, and consider stopping to smell the roses from time to time.  I do catch myself in “now” moments and stop thinking and simply smile to take it all in! It’s like exercising a muscle, the more you do it the fitter you become. 

There are times that I call my “God moments.”  They occur in many different surroundings however I am always alone when it happens.  These are not moments of prayer and cannot be called upon when needed.  I would describe them as “awakened times” that gets christened with a wash of emotion that combines joy and sorrow all at once.  I often laugh and cry at the same time.  It truly is a weird wonderful feeling.  I cherish these moments and bank them as wisdom nuggets that arrive from a higher place.  I have never been misled by a “God moment.”

I encourage all of us to listen and pay attention for your moments and while you are at it...

Enjoy the passage of time!


NobleOne

No comments:

Post a Comment